tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Libpcap on VMWare

From: Vikram Roopchand <vikram.roopchand () j-interop org>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 05:03:33 +0000 (UTC)

What sort of VMware network card are you using?  As far as I remember,
VMware simulates either a dec21143 based card (vmlance), an Intel e1000
card, or something which is more "paravirtualized" and needs a special
driver.

This might make a big difference...

Hi,
   We have tried on both drivers (vlance and vmxnet). Unfortunately,
the outcome is still the same (packet drops). I think the only
cowardly alternative left is to perhaps increase the libpcap buffer
size, it worked for Dustin, might work for us. This would ofcourse
not resolve the really issue (if any).

just a short update, with the new libpcap (from trunk) and a buffer
size of 128M we have successfully tested over Non Windows VMWare guests
(FC, Ubuntu and Debian). The tests ran for over a day without any packet
drops.

Thank you all very much for giving detailed explanations, helpful
insights into workings of libpcap and your experiences with the same.

best regards,
Vikram

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.