tcpdump mailing list archives

New libpcap API

From: "Mark Bednarczyk" <voytechs () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:17:14 -0500

Hi,
  I'm the developer of a java libpcap wrapper jNetPcap. jNetPcap API
currently provides comparible libpcap functions for almost everything prior
to libpcap 0.9.8 version. I am planning out additional functions that I
think need to be added to the API.

Does anyone know which functions were introduced in 1.0.0 from the list
below? I checked in changelogs but couldn't find references to most of these
functions. Lastly, if anyone could fill in the few ??? marks for function
description I couldn't find manpages for.

pcap_create           - allocates memory for the pcap handle (must be
followed by a corresponding pcap_activate)
pcap_set_snaplen      - set the snapshot length for a not-yet-activated
capture handle
pcap_set_promisc      - set promiscuous mode for a not-yet-activated capture
handle
pcap_can_set_rfmon    - check whether monitor mode can be set for a
not-yet-activated capture handle
pcap_set_rfmon        - set monitor mode for a not-yet-activated capture
handle
pcap_set_timeout      - set the read timeout for a not-yet-activated capture
handle
pcap_set_buffer_size  - set the buffer size for a not-yet-activated capture
handle
pcap_setdirection     - set the direction for which packets will be captured
pcap_activate         - actives the pcap handle and most of the above
functions may no longer be called on an active handle
pcap_statustostr      - convert a PCAP_ERROR_ or PCAP_WARNING_ value to a
string
pcap_strerror         - convert an errno value to a string (how is this
different from pcap_geterr?)
pcap_offline_filter   - check whether a filter matches a packet. BPF VM
engine in user land
pcap_datalink_ext     - not sure ???
pcap_set_datalink     - set the link-layer header type to be used by a
capture device.
pcap_list_datalinks   - get a list of link-layer header types supported by a
capture device
pcap_free_datalinks   - frees allocated memory in pcap_list_datalinks
pcap_snapshot         - get the snapshot length set with pcap_set_snaplen or
pcap_open_live
bpf_filter            - ???
bpf_validate          - ???
bpf_image             - ???
bpf_dump              - ???

Here is a list of of all the functions currently exported, which is almost
everything else that is not in the list above with the exception of some
very OS specific items such as file-handles which are meaningless in java:
http://jnetpcap.com/docs/javadoc/jnetpcap-javadoc/org/jnetpcap/Pcap.html

And here are the WinPcap extensions:

http://jnetpcap.com/docs/javadoc/jnetpcap-javadoc/org/jnetpcap/winpcap/WinPc
ap.html

Is there anything I may be missing that is important in terms of API? I
think the existing jNetPcap API, plus the functions above will cover
everything that libpcap has exported.

Cheers,
mark....
http://jnetpcap.com

"It is impossible to grasp the meaning of the idea of sound money if one
does not realize that it was devised as an instrument for the protection of
civil liberties against despotic inroads on the part of governments.
Ideologically it belongs in the same class with political constitutions and
bills of rights."  Ludwig von Mises

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.