tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Inefficiency in BPF code for DLT_RAW

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 12:17:29 -0800

On Jan 3, 2010, at 6:42 PM, Darren Reed wrote:

On 23/12/09 06:09 PM, Guy Harris wrote:

DLT_IPv4 and DLT_IPv6?

Can I request for DLT numbers to be allocated?
228 & 229 would appear to be next.

OK, DLT_IPV4 is 228 and DLT_IPV6 is 229.

I used capital-V; if people would prefer a lower-case v (DLT_IPv4 and DLT_IPv6), let me know.

I also checked in changes to libpcap to generate code for them; they're generating an extra instruction that the
optimizer is somehow not removing, but at least they're not bothering to check the link type/IP version number.

In addition, I checked in support for DLT_IPV4 and DLT_IPV6 in tcpdump.-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.