tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: How to tell if application is handling packets

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 18:53:19 -0800

On Dec 28, 2009, at 2:03 PM, Robert Edmonds wrote:

libpcap0.8 version 0.9.8-5

libpcap0.8 version 1.0.0-6

That sound you just heard was my head exploding.  (Then again, I used to work for a company whose OS release, at the
time I joined, was called "Sun UNIX 4.2BSD Version 2.0", and currently work for a company the name of whose current
desktop OS release is pronounced "Mak Oh Ess Ten Version Ten Dot Six Dot Two".)

from reviewing the libpcap0.8 changelog there has never been a
need to bump the SONAME since.

Unless either the screwed something up or I missed something, there hasn't been a need to bump the soname since libpcap
0.6 came out (libpcap 0.5 changed some DLT_ values in ways that broke binary compatibility; they were changed back in
0.6).  Nothing we did should have broken binary compatibility between programs built with any version starting with 0.6
and any later versions of the library.  The soname of libpcap, should, at this point, be libpcap.so.1, with, for
backwards compatibility, links with older names such as libpcap.so.0.-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.