tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Packet drop counts via pcap_stats()

From: Jim Lloyd <jlloyd () silvertailsystems com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 12:39:25 -0800

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 5:35 PM, Dustin Spicuzza <dustin () virtualroadside com
wrote:

Jim Lloyd wrote:
Over the last couple months we have developed and deployed into a
production
environment an application using libpcap, where we sniff upwards of
350Mbps
of HTTP traffic arriving via a SPAN. On the whole I am extremely pleased
with libpcap in terms of both the ease of implementation and the
efficiency/throughput/quality of the packet capture. We are clearly not
getting all packets, but there is fairly strong evidence this is mostly
due
to being too aggressive with the SPAN.

However, one concern I have with libpcap is that it seems that
pcap_stats()
has never reported a dropped packet. Is this a known problem? We are
using
libpcap-1.0.0 on CentOS 5.4, which uses the Linux kernel 2.6.18-164.el5,
on x86_64.

I have also run our application with valgrind, and when I do the volume
of
packets processed drops significantly for the same traffic. It is not
surprising to me that we are forced to handle lower throughput under
valgrind, but it is bothersome that I don't seem to have any way for pcap
tell me that it can't keep up.

Is this expected behavior, or is there something I am overlooking?

There are at least two things that measure losses on linux, one on the
socket buffer and one on the interface itself. pcap_stats() only
reported losses on the socket buffer. This problem was fixed in HEAD a
few months ago.

Not sure why a 1.1.1 release hasn't been done a lot earlier than this,
but libpcap HEAD fixes a lot of bugs.

Dustin

I've updated my application to use sources from your git repository HEAD
and I'm now seeing dropped packet counts. Thanks!

I'd like to request that you guys cut another release sometime soon.
According to http://www.tcpdump.org/#latest the latest release of libpcap is
1.0.0 from October 27, 2008.

Thanks,
Jim Lloyd