tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: libpcap on Mac Os X 10.6 Snow Leopard

From: Marco De Angelis <thorar () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 21:42:28 +0000 (UTC)

Guy Harris <guy <at> alum.mit.edu> writes:

Your code snippet shows pcap_dispatch() being called at the
beginning of a "loop forever" loop, so I presume you're not
doing a select() to wait for packets to arrive (that has a problem
in older versions of *BSD and still has a problem in OS X).

So the call to pcap_dispatch not preceded by a select() could still
cause problems in 10.6.2?

I tried also to replace the call to pcap_dispatch with pcap_loop,
without luck.  Higher timeout values (2000) for pcap_open_live
did not change the behaviour.

Then run the program and reply with the output it produces.-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.

This is the output on my machine:

BIOCGRTIMEOUT = 0x4008426e, t.tv_sec = 1, t.tv_usec = 0

Even if Carter's suggestion works fine, I could see that tcpdump
is not performing any ioctl() call (nor any select() call). That still
puzzles me, as tcpdump works perfecly.

Thanks for the kind support,
Marco

-