tcpdump mailing list archives

buffering packets with libpcap 1.0.0

From: Virgil Mihailovici <virgilm () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 17:09:20 -0700

Hi,

I'm new over here, please excuse if this is not the right forum. I am
compiling libpcap 1.0.0 and I am trying to use the zero copy functionality.
My application requires that packets are buffered for a period of time, then
released.

I have a couple of questions:
1. I am trying to change the size of the ring buffer allocated by pcap, it
seems that I have to use pcap_set_buffer_size to do that. The question is,
can I call this as a user, or can I otherwise modify the size of the buffer
allocated other than hardcoding it into activate_mmap()?
2. In order to avoid copies, I am trying to "hold on" to the packets
returned (not return them back to the ring). Is there any way to accomplish
this?

Thanks,
Virgil
-