tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Libpcap performance under VMWare guest OSes

From: "Mark Bednarczyk" <voytechs () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 19:45:35 -0500

I hope you don't mind if I submit ttcp numbers instead of netperf.

The following tests are between 3 physical machines on a 10-meg ethernet
network all connected to the same subnet.

System #1: win_32 and ubuntu1_32    (dual CPU)
System #2: fedora core 64-bit       (quad CPU)
System #3: debian_32 and ubuntu2_32 (dual CPU)

(I also have various other OSes solaris, freebsd, etc but I think this mix
is more then enough for our purposes.)

For file copies via sftp I get:

host(win_32) to guest(ubuntu1_32) (same physical machine and disk): 20.8Mbps
host(win_32) to host(fc_64)       (different machines over 10 meg eth):
6.8Mbps
host(win_32) to guest(debian_32)  (different machines over ethernet):
6.5Mbps

ttcp transfers:
host(win_32) to host(fc_64) (different phsyical machine): 8Mbps
host(fc_64) to guest(ubuntu2_32) (different machine): 7.8Mbps
host(fc_64) to guest(debian_32) (different machine): 7.7Mbps
guest(debian_32) to guest(ubuntu2_32) (same physical machine): 624Mpbs

So it looks like that the network drivers on VMs are able to handle quiet a
bit of traffic upto 600Mbps when a physical network is not involved, but
respectible 7 - 8 Mbps on a 10-meg ethernet network.

Somehow libpcap, when it taps into this captured traffic, is not able to
handle a fraction of the actual traffic.

Cheers,
mark...