tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: installing tcpdump-4.0.0.tar.gz

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 10:48:35 -0700

On Sep 29, 2009, at 10:10 AM, DALVI RAJIV-TRW486 wrote:

I have tcpdump-4.0.0.tar.gz
<http://www.tcpdump.org/release/tcpdump-4.0.0.tar.gz>  from your
website. What command should I use to install tcp dump on my linux pc?

Most, if not all, major Linux distributions include tcpdump, so you probably don't *need* to download tcpdump from tcpdump.org and compile it in order to install tcpdump; you might just be able to use apt-get (if Debian or a Debian derivative such as Ubuntu), or some other command on an RPM-based system, or emerge or whatever it is on Gentoo, or... in order to get the version of tcpdump that your Linux distribution provides.

If your Linux distribution doesn't provide tcpdump 4.0.0, and you want tcpdump 4.0.0, then there is no command you can use to install it - you need to use *multiple* commands:

first, you need to use tar to extract the contents of the tcpdump-4.0.0.tar.gz gzipped tarball;

        then you'll need to change to the top-level tcpdump-4.0.0 directory;

then you'll need to run the command "./configure" to configure the build process;

        then you'll need to run the command "make" to compile tcpdump;

then you'll need to run the command "make install" - and you might have to do that as root, using, for example, "sudo" - to install the result of the compilation.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.