tcpdump mailing list archives

Capturing packets content using libpcap

From: Huy Phan <dachuy () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 11:45:43 +0700

Hi everybody,
Currently I'm using libpcap to develop a sniffing tool. I've read some tutorials and I can get the packet header, is it possible to capture the plain-text content using libpcap also ? ( like http request content ... ) I've tried to search on Google, looked at the documentation of tcpdump and wireshark but found nothing.

One thing I found from google is that libpcap only captures 2% packets of network, i'm wondering how can wireshark and tcpdump capture everything while they're still using lipbcap.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.