tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: 802.11 + radio headers question...

From: Mike Kershaw <dragorn () nerv-un net>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 11:17:46 -0400

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 11:07:52AM -0400, Eddie Harari wrote:
Thanks for the quick response.

Is there an RFC for 802.11 radio headers ?
all the cards give same headers ?

The IEEE standard & combined standards for 11b/g/a are now free (they're
linked off wikipedia or google should find them.)

All 802.11 layer headers are consistent across cards.

Different drivers return different (or no) per-packet custom headers
which contain layer1 radio data like antenna, signal, bitrate, etc, not
contained in the 802.11 layer.

I can think of wlan-ng prism2, prism2-avs, radiotap, and PPI off the top
of my head.  Rtap and PPI are variable-length headers.

-m

--
Mike Kershaw/Dragorn <dragorn () kismetwireless net>
GPG Fingerprint: 3546 89DF 3C9D ED80 3381  A661 D7B2 8822 738B BDB1

Q. What does the toothfairy do with all my teeth?
A. She's building another You.  Once she has all your teeth, she'll come
   back for your eyes.