tcpdump mailing list archives

libpcap 1.0.0 no longer supports "any" Pseudo-device that captures traffic on all interfaces ?

From: Jenny Guo <cct032004 () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 18:44:47 -0700 (PDT)

I have been using tshark with libpcap 0.6.2 for a while, and I can always use "tshark -i any" to capture traffic on all
interfaces. "tshark -D" also lists "any" as the Pseudo-device that captures on all device interfaces.

Recently, I upgrade my libpcap from 0.6.2 to 1.0.0,  "tshark -D" no longer lists "any" as the Pseudo-device, and
"tshark -i any" no longer works because it doesn't know "any" as a vailid interface name.  I have looked into the
libpcap source code, and find that the new API pcap_findalldevs() is used to find all capture interfaces instead of
ioctl(). As a result, pcap_findalldevs() won't return "any" as a valid interface. Do I understand it correctly? Does
anyone know why "any" is no longer supported in libpcap 1.0.0? Is there a way to make "tshark -i any" work?

Thanks in advance!

      -
This is the tcpdump-workers list.