tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: tcpdump: Exec format error. Wrong Architecture.

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 12:18:33 -0800

On Jan 29, 2009, at 12:04 PM, Bibudh Lahiri wrote:

I've installed tcpdump 4.0.0 (with libpcap 1.0.0) over Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.6.18-128.el5 #1. But when I'm trying to run tcpdump from my Linux command prompt, I'm getting the following error:

   tcpdump: Exec format error. Wrong Architecture.

I looked for the error on the web. Can it be because while installing libpcap/tcpdump, the gcc compiler was used and not g++?

No, because

1) "Architecture" refers to the instruction set architecture of a machine, which has nothing to do with the programming language;

2) gcc and g++ are just two front ends, the first for C and the second for C++, to the same back end;

        3) gcc was used because libpcap and tcpdump are written in C, not C++.

What do

        uname -mpi

and

        file `which tcpdump`

print? You might, for example, have an x86-64 version of tcpdump and an x86 machine, which won't work.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.