tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: libpcap linux direction

From: Aaron Turner <synfinatic () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 22:38:04 -0700

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 7:35 AM, David H. Lynch Jr. <dhlii () dlasys net> wrote:
   I am using libpcap under linux as a pseudo NIC for an embeded system
emulator.
   I have no difficulty trapping a linux interface and sending and
receiving packets to the outside net.
   However, I am unable to send/receive packets to the IP of the
interface I  am trapping.
   I have tried adding a  pcap_setdirection(pd, PCAP_D_INOUT) which
succeeds but changes nothing.

Correct.  You can't send traffic out an interface and expect it to be
delivered to the same host.   It doesn't work that way.
pcap_setdirection() is for limiting what packets are *read* by libpcap
and has nothing with packet injection.

--
Aaron Turner
http://synfin.net/