tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Hardware mac address with pcap/winpcap

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 10:21:33 -0800

On Mar 4, 2009, at 9:19 AM, Gianluca Varenni wrote:

In the case of Windows/WinPcap, we have an internal Packet API to get the MAC address, the main problem is exposing such MAC address at the pcap API level. I actually didn't know that findalldevs was returning the MAC address on (some flavors of?) linux. What is the sa_family in that case?

PF_PACKET, it appears; I suspect that means the address is a sockaddr_ll.

It's AF_LINK on Mac OS X and, probably, *BSD; the address is some other sockaddr structure, different from a sockaddr_ll.

On Solaris, the MAC address isn't returned by the API libpcap uses for pcap_findalldevs(); you need to use DLPI interfaces to get the MAC address.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.