tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: output timestamps in HEX format

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 16:06:00 -0800

On Mar 3, 2009, at 3:33 AM, NADEZHDA PLOTNIKOVA wrote:

I am using the following string
WinDump.exe -tt -nnr file.pcap
but the time stamps I am getting in the output text file are in decimal format.

Yes.  "Unformatted" does not necessarily mean "hexadecimal".

Does anyone know how to make it in hex format?

Change the source code to tcpdump/WinDump and recompile, or write a filter program/script to convert time stamps to hex and pipe the output of tcpdump/WinDump to it.

(BTW, on Windows, I think just typing "WinDump", without the ".exe", is sufficient; the Windows command interpreter, or the Windows CreateProcess() API, will look for a file with one of the correct suffixes.)

is it possible at all?

Not without changing tcpdump's/windump's source code, or post- processing its output, in the form discussed.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.