tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Sending a packet to localhost?

From: Aaron Turner <synfinatic () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 11:34:58 -0800

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Oliver Zheng
<mailinglists () oliverzheng com> wrote:
I am trying to inject a packet to a live TCP stream. It is connected
to the localhost and some other host. The packet i'm trying to inject
is to spoof the other host. Is this possible.

In my experience, sending packets on eth0 causes the packet to bypass
the TCP/IP stack and be sent out sight unseen.  Hence, you won't be
able to inject packets into a TCP stream with the target of the local
host.

Sending packets via loopback might work- I've never tried that to be
honest.  I'm not really sure if you can inject standard ethernet
frames or you need to convert to Linux's cooked SLL header format.
You might try setting the destination MAC to that of eth0 and see if
the kernel will route it for you.