tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: tcpdump 4.0.0 + libpcap 1.0.0 Released

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:54:07 -0700

On Oct 28, 2008, at 2:05 PM, Tyson Key wrote:

Hi, nice to see a shiny new release of libpcap and tcpdump so soon.
Out of interest, is the "tcpdump: unsupported data link type USB_LINUX"
bug/issue resolved when trying to capture USB traffic on a Linux box?

If you mean "if I try to capture USB traffic on a Linux box, and don't give the '-w' flag to get it to write the raw traffic to a file, will it print 'tcpdump: unsupported data link type USB_LINUX'?", the answer is "yes", because nobody's written a USB printer routine for tcpdump, so it *can't* handle USB traffic in that case. If that's the problem in question - which is more of a "lack of a feature" than a bug - it's still there.

if you mwan "if I try to capture USB traffic on a Linux box, and *do* give the '-w' flag to get it to write the raw traffic to a file, will it print 'tcpdump: unsupported data link type USB_LINUX'?", the answer is "no", because it just dumps the traffic out without interpretation, regardless of whether it has a printer for the link-layer type or not, and thus can handle USB traffic or any other type of traffic. If that's the problem in question, it's fixed.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.