tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Capturing without having superuser rights

From: Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ottawa on ca>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 14:21:58 -0400

"Damien" == Damien ANCELIN <damien.ancelin () ens-lyon fr> writes:
    Damien> As I'm developping on libpcap to provide a metrology
    Damien> plateform, I was wondering if there is a manner to enable a
    Damien> specific user (or a specific group) to capture from a
    Damien> network interfaces (even in promiscuous mode), without using
    Damien> sudo.  I'm trying to do this with udev, but I'm not shure it
    Damien> can works.

  It depends upon your operating system.
  I don't know what "metrology plateform" is.

  One some systems, (Solaris? BSD?) a chown/chgrp/chmod on some magic
/dev file does the trick, on others (Linux), I don't think there is a
way to avoid root.

--
] mcr () sandelman ottawa on ca http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
-