tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: tcpdump3.9.8 slow performance with filter in

From: sthaug () nethelp no
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 21:15:53 +0200 (CEST)

Thanks alot Alex, that's exactly the problem since the university uses VLAN
based on packet tags.
Actually I'm using pcap to do some packet payload processing on FreeBSD. It
seems right now that
if I use the filter "ip or (vlan and ip)", the packet returned from pcap
contains the VLAN tag. I wonder
if there's a way to let the OS to strip off the tag before deliverying?

Yes, you can configure a VLAN interface on FreeBSD, and the OS will strip
the VLAN tag before delivering it to tcpdump.

*But* you cannot sniff promiscuously on a VLAN interface - which means
you'll only get traffic addressed directly to the host.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug () nethelp no
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.