tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: does "port 25" work?

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 11:24:59 -0700

On Jul 31, 2008, at 11:11 AM, U. George wrote:

[root@laptopserver MyRblsmtpd]# /usr/sbin/tcpdump -n -v -i eth1 pppoes and port domain
tcpdump: syntax error

PPPoE is not in my tcpdump man page :{

To quote my original mail:

If the DNS requests are on PPPoE, then, *at least with a sufficiently recent version of libpcap*,

I've emphasized the critical part of my original mail. Apparently, the libpcap and tcpdump on your system aren't sufficiently recent; you'll either have to update the OS on your system to a version that includes a sufficiently-recent libpcap and tcpdump (I don't know what version that'd be - I'm having some trouble accessing tcpdump.org's CVS server, so I don't know when I added the "pppoed" and "pppoes" options, but I think they're in libpcap 0.9.8 which goes with tcpdump 3.9.8) or you'll have to get libpcap 0.9.8 and tcpdump 3.9.8 from www.tcpdump.org (although they're not currently available - I suspect Michael Richardson is in the middle of putting the tcpdump.org machine back together). -
This is the tcpdump-workers list.