tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Question - savefile and stats

From: Milosz Marian Hulboj <mhulboj () hulboj org>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:40:58 +0200

On Thursday 10 July 2008, Guy Harris wrote:

It sounds as if you're not interested in statistics, you're interested
in the ordinal numbers of packets in the savefile.  (Note that, even
in live captures, ps_recv gives you a count of packets that passed the
filter on some platforms and packets that were *handed* to the filter
on other platforms, and might or might not count packets dropped
because the capture mechanism ran out of buffer space, so it's not
even that useful for live captures.)

That's exactly what I was thinking about - however I misunderstood the statistics and thought that for live capture we
could get also total count.

If you want the ordinal numbers of packets in the savefile, I would:

      compile the filter expression;

      *NOT* set it as a filter with pcap_setfilter();

      after doing pcap_next_ex(), count the packet, and then call

              bpf_filter(<compiled filter>, <pointer to the beginning of the raw
packet data>, <pcap_pkthdr>.len, <pcap_pkthdr>.caplen)

      and, if it returns 0, ignore the packet (as it didn't pass the filter).

I.e., do the filtering yourself (when reading a savefile, the
filtering is done in userland either way).

Thank you for this idea. For me it's ok.

Cheers,
Milosz
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.