tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Libpcap 1.0, WinPcap and documentation

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 15:48:39 -0700

Gianluca Varenni wrote:

Within WinPcap I have a big problem in generating the documentation. Within WinPcap we generate html with doxygen out of an (outdated) version of pcap.h. In the past it was a pain because the pcap.h file used for the documentation was never up-to-date.
The problem is that now pcap\pcap.h doesn't contain any documentation,

What documentation did pcap.h have that it no longer has? The version that comes with OS X 10.4, at least, just has function declarations.

and several new functions have been added to libpcap (pcap_create, pcap_activate and so on).

In the past we (WinPcap team) discussed about rewriting the documentation within pcap.h using the doxygen commenting style, and then generate both man pages (for *nix systems) and html pages out of it. Of course this would either require putting doxygen as a prerequisite to build the libpcap man pages on *nix (a bad thing, for sure) or committing the doxygen-generated man pages to the CVS when pcap.h gets updated.

The API probably won't change *that* often, so the latter of those might be acceptable. (I, at least, would be willing to run doxygen for any of my changes.)
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.