tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Question about savefile format

From: Milosz Marian Hulboj <mhulboj () hulboj org>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 09:14:52 +0200

On Wednesday 02 April 2008, Guy Harris wrote:

What "fixed length blocks" are you referring to?  The current file
format has

      1) a file header, which you can't use to store packets;

      2) variable-length blocks containing packets.

Hello,

What I meant was to store the captured packets in the blocks of fixed size
(possibly wasting some of the storage space in case of small packets, but
gaining in case one wishes to do random access). So to access packet $n$ I
would have to look at the offset = header + n*block_size.

Cheers,
Milosz

--
Milosz Marian Hulboj