tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: about this mailing list

From: Eloy Paris <peloy () chapus net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 17:56:55 -0400

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 08:04:28PM -0700, Michael Bernstein wrote:

Thanks Guy. That response was excellent. Please excuse my naivety.

Obviously, you know the deep down of how this program works and the
why. Why do people want to develop programs based on libpcap when
TCPdump and Wireshark exist. What is the benefit?

libpcap is a library for capturing packets. tcpdump and wireshark
capture packets, dissect captured packets and provide a way for users to
see dissection results and analysis of the dissection, so they do more
than just capturing packets.

However, other applications may want to do more than capturing,
dissecting, and presenting results, like capturing packets and then
taking some action, like sending a response back, or performing some
type of analysis that tcpdump and wireshark can't do. Other applications
may even want to do less than tcpdump and wireshark do.

See http://www.tcpdump.org/related.html for a list of related projects,
some of which use libpcap for some function.

The beauty of libpcap is that it allows you to capture packets in a
portable way, i.e. a program written to read packets using libpcap will
build on any of the supported platforms, with no change.

The bottom line is that the impact and benefits of libpcap are huge.
We're fortunate to have such a wonderful piece of software, especially
with that price tag.

Cheers,

Eloy Paris-