tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: setting the initial ring size

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 01:47:51 -0800

Abeni Paolo wrote:

I have some concerns about more the "open a live capture" call[s]: in
the future it could be useful to set more parameters, so in the long run
there could be a proliferation of such call. A possible solution would
be to make the "open a live capture" call extensible, adding a generic
parameter (like buffer filled with TLV items). Such buffer could be a
read/write parameter to make it possible notify the called of which
items has been ignored.

That's exactly what I had in mind (and exactly the reason why I had it in mind).

There'd also be an API to ask which parameters a particular adapter supports (and possibly which values it supports for those parameters, e.g. if one of the parameters is a DLT_ type or an 802.11 channel).
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.