tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: patch: Allow various ethernet address notations

From: Arien Vijn <arien.vijn () ams-ix net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 17:18:35 +0100

On 7 Jan 2008, at 16:37, Joerg Mayer wrote:

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 03:13:32PM +0100, Arien Vijn wrote:
Attached is a small patch which makes libpcap filter expressions a bit
more tolerant towards ethernet (MAC) address notations.

Did you use invisible ink^H^H^Hpixels in the attached patch?

Not sure what you mean exactly. I guess the file did not come through in good order? You may want to download it from SourceForge or from here:

http://www.ams-ix.net/~arien/macnotation-0.9.8.diff

I just tried it from there and it works for me.

\3 seems preferred by the IEEE and in many books.

The '-' notation should be used by all media that use the Ethernet bit
order, TR should use ':' - at least if I interpreted the IEEE correctly.
Well, it seems that hardly anyone knows that (or that I'm imagining
things of course :-)

I for one, did not know that but it seems another reason for this patch :)

Thanks, Arien

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.