tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: libpcap patches for DLT_SITA support

From: "Fulko Hew" <fulko.hew () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 17:03:33 -0500

On Jan 6, 2008 4:46 PM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

Fulko Hew wrote:

On one hand, my version queries and interoperates with remote
devices to allow remote capture.  What it does do (unfortunately
right now) is ignore any 'local' linux monitorable devices.  It would
be nice to be able to monitor/select either remote (SITA) or local
(Linux) devices.

Make that "or local devices", without the "(Linux)" part.  There's no
need to restrict this to Linux; it's just code that connects to a remote
TCP server and exchanges messages with it.

What we probably really need is a syntax to specify remote as well as
local devices.  WinPcap supports a pcap_open() routine that takes a URL
as an argument:

http://www.winpcap.org/docs/docs_41b2/html/group__remote__source__string.html

We could have an (unofficial) "sita:" URL scheme to specify SITA
devices, just as we could have other schemes to specify protocols other
than rpcap (e.g., perhaps "ssh:" to specify that tcpdump should be run
remotely to do the capture).

Yes, this would work for me.

I'd still need a custom findalldevs() function that knew how to find
'local' devices as well as 'SITA remote' devices.

With that approach - and probably with other approaches - having a
separate file for the SITA code would still be appropriate.

Then definitely so... except for the findalldevs() issue.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.