tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: false checksum failure reports

From: Rick Jones <rick.jones2 () hp com>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 17:54:26 -0800

Harley Stenzel wrote:
On Nov 6, 2007 2:03 PM, Rick Jones <rick.jones2 () hp com> wrote:

Any thoughts as to how to deal with false checksum failure reports for outbound
traffic being sniffed on a system with ChecKsum Offload (CKO)?  It seems that
linux has a flag they can set when capturing the packet that would tell us, not
sure what other platforms might have

Love it.  It would be very nice to know if a packet's checksum will be
calculated in a CKO card.

These are some of the specifics courtesy of folks over in the linux netdev mailing list:

The thing to check is "TP_STATUS_CSUMNOTREADY".

When using mmap(), it will be provided in the descriptor.  When using
recvmsg() it will be provided via a PACKET_AUXDATA control message
when enabled via the PACKET_AUXDATA socket option.

I have tried to take a quick first look at the pcap code for linux but wasn't in the correct frame of mind and so got lost rather quickly.

Without a corresponding change to the binary file format (as in find a spare bit somewhere) the change would initially be limited to "live" tracing. Not a complete solution, but a step in the right direction.

Meanwhile, making certain that the docs/manpage etc call-out that tracing on a CKO capable system/NIC will result in false checksum failure reports for outbound traffic would be goodness. I suppose I should have checked if that was already there before typing the previous sentence, but there you go :)

rick jones

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.