tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [PACTH] enable memory mapped access to ethernet

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 13:08:58 -0800

Paolo Abeni wrote:

The attached patch is the third revision of my attempt to enable memory
mapped access to ethernet devices under Linux. I tried to address some
of the major concerns emerged in the past days.

Printing a message to the standard error and exiting if ring corruption is found is probably not the best approach. Instead, it should probably:

        set the error string on the pcap_t to the error message;

set most of the function pointers to routines that just return an error indication (except for the close routine);

        return an error indication;

so that the application can report the error as appropriate and close the pcap_t.

This would let GUI applications, for example, display the message in the GUI, and would even let tty-based applications gracefully close any capture file they're writing.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.