tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Request for DLT_ number assignment

From: Alexey Neyman <avn () pigeonpoint com>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 17:53:45 -0800

Guy,

So if it were to be used for other I2C-based buses, would the
expectation be that you'd have to configure the application reading
the file to indicate what protocol is being used?

Yes, in the Wireshark changes that we'll submit it is possible to select
the protocol being used on I2C bus via a configuration option.
Currently, there are only two possible choices: "raw data" (which is
not interpreted at all, just shown in hexadecimal format) and "IPMB".

And can the capture utility be used to capture other types of
traffic? If so, it might be useful to have it take, as an argument,
an indication of the type of traffic, and either include that in a
per-packet pseudo-header or use it to choose a DLT_ value.

If you think that choosing the type of protocol in reading application
is not enough - well, let's call it DLT_IPMB_LINUX; we'll add the
ability to select the DLT_ value in the capture utility.

Best regards,
Alexey.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.