tcpdump mailing list archives

libpcap and ettercap on Solaris 9

From: capper () psicorps org
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 09:38:23 -0500 (EST)

   Hello the list. Hope everyone is having a good holiday season.

I'm looking for a bit of help with libpcap in a Solaris 9 environment, in pursuit of compiling ettercap. I'm running into a problem that seems to be libpcap-related, and hopefully someone has seen this.

The Environment
===============
Solaris 9 Kernel 118558-39
gcc v3.3.2
flex v2.5.34
bison v2.3
m4 v1.4.9
libnet v1.1.2.1
libpcap v0.9.8
ettercap v0.7.3
ld, ar, ranlib, strip are stock Solaris 9

libpcap was successfully built and installed with "--disable-ipv6":

me@host $ ls -l /usr/include/pcap*
lrwxrwxrwx      /usr/include/pcap-bpf.h -> /opt/pcap/include/pcap-bpf.h
lrwxrwxrwx      /usr/include/pcap-namedb.h -> /opt/pcap/include/pcap-namedb.h
lrwxrwxrwx      /usr/include/pcap.h -> /opt/pcap/include/pcap.h

me@host $ ls -l /usr/lib/libpcap.*
lrwxrwxrwx      /usr/lib/libpcap.a -> /opt/pcap/lib/libpcap.a

The Problem
===========
   When I run configure for ettercap:

./configure --disable-gtk

   I get:

[....]
checking for libpcap... yes
checking for pcap_datalink_val_to_description in -lpcap... no
configure: error: Incorrect libpcap version. libpcap >= 0.8.1 required

   Looking in pcap.h, the function is defined:

me@host $ grep datalink /usr/include/pcap.h
[....]
const char *pcap_datalink_val_to_description(int);

   AFAICT, this shouldn't be an issue.

   Does anyone have any suggestions?

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.