tcpdump mailing list archives

Adding SHA1 signature to packets?

From: "Bruce Keats" <brucekeats () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 15:04:02 -0500

I am thinking about adding a SHA1 signature to each of the packets captured
by TCPDUMP.  I was poking around libpcap and I have some different ideas on
how to do.  One way would be to create a new TCPDUMP magic number and then
change the packet header to include the SHA1.  Another way would be to
create a new TCPDUMP magic number and put the SHA1 between the packet header
and the data.  Another way would be to create a new DLT_ type for each of
the links I deal with and add the SHA1 somewhere within the data.

I would like to have wireshark still be able to look at the data.  If
wireshark uses libpcap then everything should be hidden.  Otherwise, I am
digging into the wireshark code as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bruce
-