tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: I Need to register some DLTs

From: "Luis EG Ontanon" <luis.ontanon () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 10:33:36 +0200

On 9/19/07, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:
On Aug 24, 2007, at 2:33 PM, Luis EG Ontanon wrote:
Hi,
I Need to register two DLTs they would be:

DLT_MTP2_MULTISTANDARD
[snip]
DLT_MTP3_MULTISTANDARD
[snip]

Is a capture likely to have a mix of packets for different MTP3
standards?  And are there likely to be more types in the future?

I got few text dumps containing a mix of china and itu MTP3 headers,
other than that I've seen international exchange traces using more
than one standard

If not, should we just have multiple DLT_MTP2_ and DLT_MTP3_ values?

That might be the way. I'm on my way  to add multistandard mtp support
to Wireshark (in weeks, not days) so I guess I better wait (and use
USERx_DLTs fo the time being) to see how this is better handled with a
working tool.

Luis

--
-- Marshall McLuhan