tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: ETHERMTU

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 15:00:05 -0700

On Sep 5, 2007, at 2:17 PM, Saikiran Madugula wrote:

Yes, I get warning when gencode.c gets compiled with the custom package.
(ofcourse standalone libpcap compiles fine).

gcc -O2 -I. -I<path to custom package's include files> - DHAVE_CONFIG_H -D_U_="__attribute__((unused))" -D<XXX_ONLY> -fPIC - DPIC -c ./gencode.c
./gencode.c:87:1: warning: "ETHERMTU" redefined
In file included from /usr/include/netinet/if_ether.h:61,
                from /usr/include/netinet/ether.h:26,
from /pathtocustompackage/customheader.h from ./pcap-int.h:55,
                from ./gencode.c:65:

OK, so you have a *modified* version of gencode.c; this problem doesn't show up with *standard* libpcap.

My apologies for loose terminology. I understand it is impossible to predict what symbols might prop up. But to my surprise something like ETHERMTU has been defined in that way and *I wish to only know the reason behind this*

The reason behind this is that it's a perfectly reasonable name for the MTU of an Ethernet, that MTU being 1500 bytes (1500 bytes of Ethernet payload, after the 14-byte Ethernet header).

If a package supports a OS such as Linux, is it not clean way of being cautious of symbols that OS uses ?

No, there is no clean way to be cautious of symbols the OS uses, except not to use any symbols at all, which is a bit impractical.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.