tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Adding capture engine questions

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 12:10:44 -0700

Saikiran Madugula wrote:

I am a newbie too but I have following suggestions, although it always tough to suggest anything with out looking at source code. Did you make the following changes to handle your interface correctly ?
pcap_lookup net, pcap_open_live and xxx_platform_finddevs.
Have you verified with tcpdump etc, do you get the same behaviour ?

He probably doesn't. It turned out to be the result of a botch in Wireshark, causing pcap_findalldevs() to be called once a second or so, which is a Very Bad Idea, given that it not only fetches the complete interface configuration, it tries to open each interface it finds, in order to determine whether you *can* capture on it.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.