tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [Wireshark-users] Filtering both vlan-tagged

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 10:53:02 -0700

Joerg Mayer wrote:

Well, it's not a bug per se, but I really think that the capture syntax
manpage should be part of libpcap and not of tcpdump. I know of a few
systems that have wireshark installed but not tcpdump. Also, it is
possible to build tcpdump with older versions of libpcap where the
capture syntax might be different.

It's always bothered me that it's part of a man page for an application that's just one of the apps that support libpcap-style filters.

However, I'm not sure the libpcap man page is the right place, either, as it'll be lost amidst a bunch of details of interest only to people writing code that uses libpcap.

Wireshark has a "wireshark-filter(4)" man page for its display filter; would it make sense to have something like a "pcap-filter" man page, to which the tcpdump/WinDump, libpcap/WinPcap, Wireshark, TShark, and any other application man pages could refer?

Looking at the FreeBSD man page sections (treating FreeBSD as an example of the "Version 7/BSD" style of man page sections), pcap-filter - and wireshark-filter - arguably belong, in systems using the V7/BSD style, in section 7 ("miscellaneous information pages", or "Macros and conventions"), rather than section 4 ("introduction to devices and device drivers", or "Special files").

Looking at the names that Solaris uses for the sections (treating Solaris as an example of the "System V" style of man page sections), the appropriate section would probably be section 5 ("Standards, Environments, and Macros", or "miscellany"), although section 4 ("file formats") might not be *too* off-base.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any easy way to determine which convention applies on the target host - I'll see if I can find configure scripts that install "administrative" tools, and see if they figure out whether to install the man page in section 8 (on V7/BSD-style systems) or section 1M (for SV-style systems).

We can probably just pick a section for now, and worry about getting into the right section later.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.