tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Sending captured packets to a virtual nic

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 13:31:04 -0700

Quan Doan wrote:

The command is useful for real-time captured packets? It means I had
captured those packets from my LAN and transfer over internet to a remote
server.

How did you transfer those files?

In this server, I have all captured packets. The transfer is
real-time.

"Real-time" in what sense? If you mean that you captured a bunch of packets with tcpdump and saved them to a file, and then FTP'ed or scp'd or ... that file to the remote server, that is *not* a real-time transfer - it's not real-time unless each packet is transferred as it arrives.

Now the question is how I can open those packets into Wireshark
in real-time mode if I just open a file,

There is no notion of reading a capture file in real-time mode; that notion wouldn't make any sense.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.