tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: how to make the sniffer quicker?

From: David Young <dyoung () pobox com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 11:44:26 -0600

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 10:39:55AM -0000, David Lopez wrote:
Hi

I'm developing a position system for my PhD.

This system is based on Round Trip Time measurements.

I'm getting the timestamp of the packets using Tethereal and the Mactime
in the Prism Monitor Header

My problem is: the sniffer is too slow.

How fast is your computer?  Do you use a Prism radio?  A host has to read
packets from the Prism II/2.5 radios using programmed I/O, which is slow.

When I'm flooding the receiver with pings, using the linux command ping
-f, if I send X in one second I cannot get this number of packets in the
sniffer, I always get less, around the 10%.

At what rate does the sniffer receive packets?  Could it be that ping
-f produces packets faster than the radio can transmit them?  That is,
the packets may be dropped on the sender side.

Dave

--
dyoung () ojctech com      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933
-