tcpdump mailing list archives

setsockopt with Netlink socket

From: madhuresh <madhurag () iitk ac in>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 16:35:46 +0530

I wish to send some extra details (like per packet signal strength, rate etc) along with the standard packet to libpcap. For this i have implemented a netlink socket based communication between the driver (hostap-driver-0.4.7 - I am using Linux-Kernel). and libpcap. I can successfully send these details and can separate them at libpcap end.

Now i wish to do filtering at kernel space. Looking into the code of libpcap, i found that it implements PF_PACKET socket with kernel and uses setsockopt call for setting filter in the kernel. Can i use this setsockopt call for setting the same filter options in the netlink socket case ? As this time the packet queued in netlink socket have some extra details appended, wont this be a problem ?

Please guide appropriately

Thanks in advance

Madhuresh
-