tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Verbose output of tcpdump on protocols of different

From: Hannes Gredler <hannes () juniper net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:36:11 +0200

mikhail,

what you are suggesting makes sense
and you are welcome to submit a patch ;-)

/hannes

Mikhail Manuylov wrote:
Hello,

I need to parse output of tcpdump printing contents of snmp packets
and insert to database.

First time I thought that output can be explained with some regexps,
but when I looked into sources I've suddenly changed my mind and have
choosed to yacc. Now I'm writing grammar of tcpdump's output in BNF (
because PDML and wireshark is not my choise ).

All I need is snmp printing which is done with verbose flag ( -v |
vflag ). But I DON'T need verbose printing of low level protocols (
ip, udp ). For optional printing of Ethernet header there exists flag
(-e | eflag ), but for ip and udp is not (it depends on vflag). I
don't want to write grammar for that output. Of course I can make some
local crocks (and I will ), but am I the first person complaining
about that behaviour?

I think there should be flags for verbose optional output on EACH
level of tcp|osi model. But because tcpdump only supports BSD style of
cli options, I think config is a good choise there.

Just think about it.

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.