tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Taps compatibility

From: Michael Bernstein <mb_jobs () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 13:22:21 -0700 (PDT)

So you want to use a Linux box as an in-line tap. You might have to configure it for bridging or bonding, not exactly
sure how to accomplish this, however, i my self am also interested in something like this.

David Moron <david.moron () openwired net> wrote: Hi everyboy,

I want to monitor a Gigabit Multimode(SX) Fiber link. If use a Network
Tap then:
 - Using one SX NIC: Can Libpcap capture packets from TX and RX NIC's
connector?
 - Have I to use 2 different NICs to connect the fibers to the RX
connectors and don't use the TX ones? ¿Configuring the NIC's
autonegotation would work?

I Would want not to use an aggregation tap because of $$ and do the
aggregation process inside de Linux box.

Thank you in advance,
--
David Morón Ruano

-