tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: packet dropping on solaris

From: "Jon Craig" <cannedspam.cant () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 13:48:49 -0400

Hello,

On 5/25/06, Jonathan Khoo <khoohuit () gmail com> wrote:
Hi guys,

I am working on a network monitoring system on solaris. Currently I am
just working on the packet capturing engine and I seems to experience
packet drops. After reading through the archives and goggling, I
suspect that the problem may be due to insufficient buffering in the
kernel. Is there any suggestions on how I can modify pcap-dlpi.c to
increase the kernel buffering?

--
cheers,
jon.

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.

I've not had any problems with packet loss using libpcap with
tethereal or tcpdump.  I'm running a dual-proc 900Mhz workstation with
2GB memory on solaris 10.  The network connection I have is a 100MB
Half-Duplex using the "eri0" driver for the builtin interface.  I
would be curious if you see packet loss using "snoop".  FYI - The
captures you get from snoop can be opened in ethereal as well.  What's
your load level and average cpu IDLE?

As to looking at kernel tunings, ndd is indeed the tool, but there's
not alot that usually needs tuning.  Review the dumps you are getting
and see if your getting any TCP window closes, which would indicate a
buffering issue.  Look at your netstat output and see if it's also
noticing lost packets (collisions/errs/dropped packets).
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.