tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: guessing when TSO is present

From: Rick Jones <rick.jones2 () hp com>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 10:08:47 -0700

ronnie sahlberg wrote:
large segment offload (LSO)
can be easily detected by

TCP checksum==0    and being incorrect
and that the segment is much larger than the normal mtu.

I like the idea of there being a few additional sanity checks, like I said, what I did there was a WAG :) So, adding a check for a ULP checksum of 0 sounds like goodness.

As for checking against the normal MTU, does tcpdump/libpcap have that information? Also, IIRC, the MSS for the connection could be rather smaller than the link-local MTU, and there could still be (IIRC) an "large send" that was less than the MTU but still multiple MSS segments.

Does libpcap/tcpdump have any way of knowing that this packet originated on the system where libpcap/tcpdump was running? We should "never" see the IP len of zero on traffic we receive.

The problem report suggests HP-UX 11.11. I cannot remember if HP offered TSO on 11.11 or if it was strictly 11.23 and later. Asking the person who submitted the bug if they have set a VMTU on the interface being traces would be goodness.

rick jones

On 4/7/06, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

Hannes Gredler wrote:

checked in - thanks for the submission - /hannes

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 05:35:13PM -0800, Rick Jones wrote:
| A while back I think I posted something asking about what to do about

TSO

| (large send) and how it generated "IP bad-len 0" output  when tracing on

| TSO-enabled sender.
|
| I had a couple spare cycles, so I decided to just take a WAG at what

might

| be done, which was to say that if the IP len was zero, just go ahead and
| guess that this was a TSO and set the len to the length parm pass-in to
| print-ip and hope.

[ ... ]

| basically, if the IP len is zero, ass-u-me that the segment is TSO and

wing

| it.
|
| rick jones

Should we make that the default, or would that be too risky?

See

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1437110&group_id=53066&atid=469573

which I suspect is caused by TSO.
-