tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: What is the main reason in absent append

From: Stephen Donnelly <stephen () endace com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 09:06:01 +1300

On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 20:17 +0300, Mikhail Manuylov wrote:
Hi there,

All I wonder is why tcpdump still hasn't any binary dump append feature.

The biggest problem I imagine is that the resulting file would have only
one header block, so the configuration of the capture for the appended
records would have to be the same as for the original file.

I'm not sure how you could check for or enforce this?

The 'NTAR' file format intended for pcap-ng supports directly appending
capture files together, allowing new header blocks to redescribe the
interfaces and capture parameters.

Stephen.