tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: pcap file format documentation

From: "Don Morrison" <donmorrison () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 01:18:05 -0800

The files are at work, so I'll have to reply in the morning. -Don

On 3/20/06, Jefferson Ogata <Jefferson.Ogata () noaa gov> wrote:
On 03/20/2006 02:01 AM, Don Morrison wrote:
[top posting fixed again]
On 3/19/06, Jefferson Ogata <Jefferson.Ogata () noaa gov> wrote:

The trivial way to fix a truncated pcap file:

tcpdump -r broken.pcap -w clean.pcap

I tried this method, but it hangs tcpdump.

That would be a bug in tcpdump. Why don't you send an example pcap file
along that does this (or post it to a web or FTP site and send a URL),
and state what version of tcpdump you are using.

You did run tcpdump with no options other than -r and -w, right?

--
Jefferson Ogata <Jefferson.Ogata () noaa gov>
NOAA Computer Incident Response Team (N-CIRT) <ncirt () noaa gov>

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.