tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Buffer size question

From: "Ed Maste" <emaste () sandvine com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:07:28 -0400

...like pcap_setbuff(), as implemented in WinPcap...

...and which I already know about.

...and also, which I mentioned in my original email:
    Basically provide the same functionality as pcap_setbuff
    from winpcap, but it has to be called before opening the bpf dev.

or an environment-variable
based mechanism (which is probably an OK short-term answer, if just
boosting the default isn't acceptable - a very large default runs the
risk of running out of kernel address space, which I've
managed to do on
at least one OS using BPF; that caused a network configuration daemon
not to be able to work, which left my machine unusable).

That's exactly the case I was concerned about -- I might want
a large buffer for an IDS or similar, while also having a DHCP
client on a different interface using bpf with a standard,
smaller buffer.

Anyway, anoncvs at cvs.tcpdump.org isn't working for me:
cvs [login aborted]: recv() from server cvs.tcpdump.org: EOF

I'll download one of the nightly tars and try out the
environment variable idea.

Ed Maste
Sandvine Inc.
-