tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: using a database to store packets

From: MAURICIOMANENTS <MAURICIOMANENTS () terra es>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:43:39 GMT

Daniel Lawson wrote:
option 2:
You want to filter out specific traffic before storing a capture to disk.

option 2 is closer to what I want, but it's not what I want.
I want to remove specific traffic WHILE storing a capture to disk.

Ok, that makes more sense then. I also guess you don't know ahead of
time what traffic you wish to exclude?

That's what I mean.

ie, you wish to dynamically, as the capture is running, specify filters
that will limit which traffic is being written to disk?

I want to specify filters to limit which traffic is being written to
disk, but what I really want is to select packets and remove them from
the capture, while capturing, so also previous packets don't take space
on disk.

If you do know ahead of time some rules that you will apply to the
traffic to determine what you are going to keep or discard, it's fairly
trivial to write a program that uses libpcap directly, and set up your
own BPF filters within it.

But as I said I'd like to remove already captured packets from disk
while the capture is running.

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.