tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Building IPv6 code in tcpdump on systems without native IPv6 support

From: John Hawkinson <jhawk () MIT EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 07:39:55 -0400

Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote on Tue, 20 Jul 2004
at 23:21:17 -0700 in <20040720232117.E251 () quadrajet sonic net>:

      1) it defines DEFAULT_SNAPLEN as 96 unconditionally, rather
         than, as is done now, as 68 if INET6 isn't defined and as 96
         if it is defined;

The first seems OK to me, although some might find it a surprise.  You
can always use "-s 68" if you want 68 bytes.

Won't this have unfortunate effects on performance (and possibly storage,
but that's less concerning) for some people in borderline situations?

First we break compatibility of the output format (do Van's awk scripts
still even work?), next the behavior? Not very friendly...

--jhawk
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.