tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: handling tcp retransmissions with libpcap

From: Andy Coates <andy () bribed net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:13:55 +0100

Bruce M Simpson (bms () spc org) wrote:
On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 01:29:33PM +0100, Andy Coates wittered thus:
I've been trying to read some tcp payloads from a dump file
generated by tcpdump.  Everything has been going smoothly until
I encounter tcp segment losses and tcp retransmissions.

By 'read some tcp payloads' I assume you're referring to being able to
extract the contents of the conversation from an arbitrary TCP stream.

This isn't a job for tcpdump/libpcap alone; to do this correctly requires
that the code parse the TCP segments it sees much the same way as a real
TCP stack does. Something like libnids might be what you need; also consider
looking at snort.

libnids is *perfect*, thank you :)

Andy.

--
n: Andy Coates                         e: andy () bribed net
-